Apr 24, 2024  
College Catalog 2023-2024 
College Catalog 2023-2024

Transfer Opportunities

Transfer Options Webpage 

For information about transferring credits to RTC, please visit the Credits section of the Academic Information page. 

Class-by-Class Transfer 

RTC credits may transfer to another college or university on a class-by-class basis. The receiving institution decides which classes and credits they will accept. Usually they require a grade of “C” (2.0) or better in each class.  

Many four-year universities have a transfer equivalency guide that lists all of the classes that are accepted automatically:  

If a class is not included in a transfer equivalency guide, students may be able to request a review of class materials to see if the RTC course is equivalent to a course at the receiving institution. Students should be prepared to present the class syllabus and samples of major assignments for the review. The process can take time, so advance planning is key. For assistance, please contact the college’s transfer counselor or the Dean of General Education and Transfer. 

Technical classes are the hardest to transfer. Many four-year universities will award credit for general education classes in math or English or psychology, but not for program classes. There is an innovative program, however, at Evergreen State College, which offers an Upside Down Transfer Option for a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts. They will accept up to 90 credits of a technical AAS or AAS-T. Students then complete 90 credits at Evergreen, mostly in general education.  

Transfer Degrees 

RTC offers two types of associate transfer degrees. The first is the career-focused Associate of Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) degree. Students with an AAS-T degree also have many options for the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS). These programs accept more technical classes, sometimes an entire program. BAS degrees emphasize hands-on, real-world work, and they are available at community and technical colleges across Washington state. Popular BAS choices include management, information technology, and education.  


The second type of associate transfer degree is the Direct Transfer Agreement / Major Related Program (DTA/MRP) degree. These are statewide transfer agreements developed in cooperation with Washington universities to transfer to specific, high-demand baccalaureate or four-year programs. RTC offers the following DTA/MRP degrees: 

  • Associate in Business DTA/MRP 

  • Associate in Computer Science DTA/MRP 

  • Associate in Pre-Nursing DTA/MRP   

Completion of a DTA/MRP degree does not guarantee admission to a university. Universities may have specific requirements or minimum GPA expectations, and admission to these programs can be highly competitive. 

The receiving institution (the college or university you want to transfer to) decides whether or not to accept your credits Choose your classes carefully, and let your adviser or counselor know about your plans to transfer. They can help you understand how different receiving institutions might evaluate your classes and credits. You also should think about reaching out to the admissions department at your transfer college or university for guidance. 


Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA)-Based Major Related Programs