Jun 14, 2024  
College Catalog 2023-2024 
College Catalog 2023-2024

Academic Information

Degrees & Certificates

Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree

An applied bachelor’s degree builds on the education and training from a two-year technical associate degree. All Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) students are required to take 60 credits of general education coursework, a minimum of 30 credits which are often satisfied at the Associate degree level, as confirmed by entrance requirements. The remaining credits will be satisfied over the course of the two-year BAS program. Students must earn a minimum of 180 quarter credits to earn an applied bachelor’s degree.  

Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree

The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is a two-year degree for students who want to start a career immediately after graduation. These degrees are at least 90 credits. All students enrolled in an AAS degree program must complete core program requirements and general education requirements. These include the following:

  • 5 credits of communication or humanities
  • 5 credits of social science 
  • 5 credits of mathematics (if program mathematics requirements are less than 3 credits)
  • Additional general education electives, if needed to reach a minimum of 90 credits

Associate of Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) Degree

The Associate of Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) degree has the dual purpose of transfer and preparation for direct employment. These degrees include at least 20 credits accepted in transfer from general education, according to the following overall guidelines:

  • 5 credits of communication (ENGL&101) 
  • 5 credits of quantitative skills (MATH or MATH&, 100-level or higher)
  • 5 credits of social science
  • 5 credits from any general education distribution area

Certificate of Completion

A Certificate of Completion is issued to a student enrolled in a certificate program when the student successfully completes the course competencies and requirements for an occupational program.  

Direct Transfer Agreement/Major Related Program (DTA/MRP)

The Direct Transfer Agreement/Major Related Program (DTA/MRP) associate degree is designed to transfer to specific, high-demand bachelor programs at four-year colleges and universities in Washington state. These degrees, which RTC offers in business, computer science, and pre-nursing, will provide students with at least 90 credits upon successful transfer to a four-year college or university. 

General Educational Development (GED)

A General Educational Development (GED) certificate is issued to an individual who successfully completes all four subjects of the standardized GED Test. The GED is generally accepted as the equivalent of a high school diploma.

High School Diploma

The college awards a high school diploma through the College & Career Pathways’ Youth High School Completion and High School+ Diploma programs who demonstrate competencies in reading, writing and math contextualized in science, history, government, occupational studies, and digital literacy. Competency can be demonstrated through current coursework and previous learning and experience.

Students who complete an AAS or AAS-T transfer degree also can apply for an RTC high school diploma.  

General Education

General Education Webpage

General education includes more traditional academic and transfer classes in five distribution areas:

  • Communication
  • Mathematics
  • Humanities
  • Social Science
  • Natural Science

 General education requirements vary for each certificate and degree, and most of these credits may be transferred to other colleges within guidelines established by the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC).


Entry into some general education classes like writing and mathematics are determined according to the College’s placement process. Consult the RTC Testing Services webpage for options.

A listing of current classes being offered each quarter can be found on the RTC Class Schedule.

Continuing Education


Continuing Education Webpage

Renton Technical College offers many day and evening classes for credit to those who wish to upgrade their skills for job advancement or those who wish to develop new skills, perhaps in a different career. 

A listing of current classes can be found on the RTC Class Schedule.



eLearning Webpage

Learning Modalities

  • Face-to-Face/Web-Enhanced: Students and instructors meet together in a classroom on the RTC campus. Class times are designated in the class schedule; syllabus, grades, assignments and other course elements available online.  
  • Online: Students complete all of their assignments online, with no on-campus component. Some online classes require students to interact with each other, the faculty, and content at specific times, while others are entirely self-paced.  
  • Hybrid: Students have a combination of face-to-face meetings and online instruction. Required on-campus class times are designated in the class schedule.  
  • Flex: Students have a choice of how to attend class on any given day - face-to-face or online.  Face-to-face class times are designated in the class schedule. 


Renton Technical College uses  Canvas, a Learning Management System (LMS), to present and organize class information securely. All courses and students are automatically uploaded to the LMS, and faculty use the Canvas platform for their gradebook, syllabi, and course outcomes. Online classes are hosted in Canvas as well. Students receive individual log-ins for the LMS platform.

If you have questions regarding Canvas, you can contact elearning@rtc.edu or call 425-235-2352, ext. 7905. You can also search the Canvas Guides or use the Help button on the upper right within Canvas search for answers or to report a problem. RTC’s elearning page has a list of classes and other information.

Cooperative Education

Some of our training programs offer a cooperative education component, which is a combination of classroom instruction (on campus) and related work experience (off campus at a local business). Cooperative education, or co-op, may be required or optional depending on the program. A co-op often becomes a job when the training is over because employers want to retain proven workers. Instructors coordinate and seek out cooperative opportunities. 

Running Start


Running Start Webpage

The Running Start program provides an opportunity for high school juniors and seniors to attend college-level classes and earn both college and high school credits. Tuition is free, but Running Start students are responsible for the cost of textbooks, supplies, transportation, and any class fees. Fee waivers and financial assistance may be available for students who qualify.

Running Start students are treated as college students and are subject to the standards, rules and regulations of the college. To participate in Running Start, students must demonstrate college-level skills. Students may demonstrate their readiness for college-level courses by taking the English and/or math placement tests at RTC, or by providing another placement document such as a high school transcript or standardized test score (see Running Start application for more information). 

For Running Start information, start with your high school guidance counseling or counseling office. You also can call (425) 235-2352, ext. 5714 or (425) 235-5840.

Career & Technical Education (CTE) Dual Credit


Dual Credit Webpage

CTE dual credit allows students to apply (or transfer) career and technical education class credits that they completed in high school. It also can provide advanced placement and help students complete programs more quickly. Through the Puget Sound Dual Credit Career Consortium, RTC has developed agreements with Auburn, Bellevue, Enumclaw, Federal Way, Highline, Issaquah, Kent, Puyallup, Renton, Snoqualmie Valley, Sumner, Bonney Lake, Tahoma, and Tukwila school districts, and the Puget Sound Skills Center. We also have articulation agreements outside of the consortium with Issaquah and Bellevue School Districts. These agreements determine exactly which high school classes will earn credit at RTC.

RTC currently has articulation agreements in the following program areas:

Advanced Manufacturing

 Business Management

Culinary Arts

Health & Human Services

Information Technology

Transportation Technology

  • Find out more about CTE opportunities on our dual credit webpage. Contact your high school counselor, CTE/vocational teacher, or RTC’s CTE Dual Credit Program Manager at (425) 235-55831

Grading Policy

Grading criteria are determined by the instructor. These criteria and how grades are achieved must be shared, in writing, with the student on the first day the student begins class. For courses that are taught within professional-technical programs, grading criteria and policies will be shared in writing with students on the first day that the course is taught. Grading policies must be on file and approved by the instructor’s dean.


Grades will be submitted as decimals which students can convert as follows: (Exceptions where required)

Decimal Grades-Letter Grades Equivalent

Decimal Grade 
Letter Equivalent 
A - 
B + 
B - 
C + 
C - 
D + 

Grade and Symbol Definitions

Grade Symbol
Grade Definition
An ‘S’ grade indicates the student satisfactorily completed the course outcomes. It is not figured into the quarterly/cumulative grade point average. This grade is used exclusively by College and Career Pathways (CCP).

The ‘U’ grade indicates the student did not satisfactorily complete course outcomes. It is not factored into the quarterly/cumulative grade point average. This grade is used exclusively by College and Career Pathways (CCP).

In Progress 
A ‘Y’ grade indicates a student is passing coursework but needs additional instruction and time to complete course outcomes. Students are required to re-enroll for the course and pay any fees. The ‘Y’ remains on the transcript for the quarter assigned, while the final grade will be posted to the quarter in which the student re-enrolled in the course. The ‘Y’ grade earns no credit and is not factored into the quarter/cumulative grade point average. This grade is used exclusively by College and Career Pathways (CCP) and select clinical and/or practicum courses.

When a student is not able to complete a class for extenuating circumstances, an instructor may assign an incomplete. It should be assigned ONLY when there is a reasonable expectation that the student will complete the specified work in the time allowed without additional instructional time. To receive an ‘I’ grade, the student MUST have an “Incomplete Grade Agreement” signed by the student, instructor, and the dean submitted to Enrollment Services prior to the grade being assigned. An ‘I’ grade reverts to the assigned “grade without completion” after one quarter (not including summer) unless otherwise specified on the incomplete grade agreement.

An ‘I’ grade may impact the student’s funding eligibility (ex. federal or state financial aid, scholarships, VA, etc.).



A ‘C’ grade indicates the student completed the course with a minimum 2.0 grade point average. It is not factored into the quarterly/cumulative grade point average.


No Credit

A ‘NC’ grade indicates the student did not complete the course with a minimum 2.0 grade point average. No credit is earned. It is not factored into the quarterly/cumulative grade point average.

A ‘NC’ grade may impact the student’s funding eligibility (ex. federal or state financial aid, scholarships, VA, etc.).

An audit means the student registers on a space-available basis to attend the class and to listen, but not do graded work. The student pays full tuition and fees, but attends class for information only. The N grade does not earn credit and does not affect the GPA. The audit grade option must be approved by the instructor and submitted to Enrollment Services by the 10th day of the class. Once registered for an audit, the student cannot change to a graded option.
Repeating a Course 

The qualifier ‘R’ on a transcript means a course has been repeated, and is excluded from credits and grade point average. All grades will still appear on the transcript whether repeated or not. Students may repeat a course twice - this is defined as two repeats in addition to the original enrollment (for a total of 3 attempts).  The highest grade earned will be used to calculate the grade point average.

Exceptions to the rule include extenuating circumstances:

  • At the discretion of the college, students with extenuating circumstances may receive permission to enroll in a course for a fourth attempt. These extenuating circumstances may include, but are not limited to, medical or military withdraws as defined in state statute, course required for a certificate or degree with limited or no substitute option, significant break in enrollment, or mandated training for employment.
  • Variable Credit Courses - A student may enroll in a variable credit course as many times as necessary to complete the entire curriculum and credit value of the course. However, a student may not repeat any portion of a variable credit course that has already been completed. 
  • Students who retake a previously passed course more than once may become ineligible for federal or state financial aid.  Students who receive veteran benefits may not be certified for, or receive compensation for, repeating a course they have previously passed.
Unofficial Withdrawal 

Students who attend briefly or rarely and who do not officially withdraw from a course or a program with a ‘W’ grade, may be assigned a grade of ‘V’ at the discretion of the instructor. To assign a ‘V’ grade, the instructor must include the last date of attendance. The ‘V’ grade does not earn credit. It is not factored into the quarterly/cumulative grade point average.

A ‘V’ grade may impact the student’s funding eligibility (ex. federal or state financial aid, scholarships, VA, etc.).


A student may officially withdraw from a class by completing the appropriate form and submitting it to Enrollment Services by the eighth week of the quarter. After the eighth week, the student cannot receive a ‘W’ and will be graded based on the course requirements as described in the course syllabus. A withdrawal prior to the 10th day of the quarter is not listed on the transcript. After the 10th day of the class, a ‘W’ will appear on the student’s transcript but it is not factored into the quarterly/cumulative grade point average. An official withdrawal can only be initiated by a student.

A ‘W’ grade may impact the student’s funding eligibility (ex. federal or state financial aid, scholarships, VA, etc.).

Grade Appeal 

A student who feels they did not get the grade they earned must first speak to the instructor involved. If the dispute is not resolved, the student may file a grade appeal with the supervising dean. 

Grade appeals must be based on one of the following three circumstances: 

  • Errors were made in calculating or posting the official RTC grade, 
  • The instructor did not follow the grading criteria outlined in the course syllabus, or 
  • Grading criteria were not uniformly applied. 

A grade appeal must be filed within two (2) instructional days of the end of the quarter. A grade appeal filed after one (1) quarter in which the grade was earned will not be considered. The student will be notified of the result of their grade appeal via email within four (4) instructional days of filing. The Grad Appeal Form can be found on the Student Forms Library webpage.

Academic Standards of Progress

Renton Technical College is committed to student success. The goal of the Academic Progress policy is to identify students who may need more support to continue and complete their programs. The college reviews academic progress every quarter. Students are assigned levels of progress to support them through their courses.

Academic Progress during the Quarter

It is the responsibility of the instructor to inform students frequently of their academic progress throughout the quarter. This may happen verbally and/or electronically in the Canvas LMS. Students are responsible for monitoring their academic progress and discussing concerns with their instructor.

Levels of Academic Progress

After grades are posted officially to transcripts each quarter, students will receive notice about their academic progress. This will include information about resources to support their success.

Good Academic Standing

Students who maintain a quarterly and cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher.

Academic Concern

Students who have a quarterly GPA below 2.0 for the first time.

Academic Intervention

Students on Academic Concern with a second quarterly GPA below 2.0. A faculty counselor will contact the student for a required check-in, where they may be referred to various resources. The student will have a registration hold and will be required to meet with a faculty counselor to register for the next quarter.

Academic Restriction

Students on Academic Intervention with a third quarterly GPA below 2.0. Restrictions may include a credit reduction or a one (1) quarter leave from the college, which means that students cannot enroll in any classes. The student will have a registration hold and will be required to meet with a faculty counselor to register.

Academic Four Quarter Dismissal

Students on Academic Restriction with any four (4) quarters of a GPA below 2.0. The Dean of Student Success may dismiss the student subject to a review. The review will include consultation with the faculty counselor.


Students may appeal an Academic Dismissal to the Vice President of Student Services (VPSS). Appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The VPSS may approve the appeal, deny the appeal, or allow the student to enroll under certain requirements. This decision is final. 

Academic Reinstatement 

Students seeking reinstatement must submit an Application of Reinstatement to the Dean of Student Success. Applications submitted after the posted closing date will be considered for the following quarter. Students will be notified in writing of the reinstatement decision.

Non-enrollment does not affect academic progress status. Individual programs may have different minimum grade requirements, as identified in the RTC College Catalog.

Leave of Absence

The college does not grant formal leaves of absences to students. However, Renton Technical College will grant reasonable accommodation so that grades are not impacted for students who are absent for reasons of faith or conscience, or for an organized activity conducted under the auspices of a religious denomination, church, or religious organization. Students must coordinate an absence with their instructor within the first two weeks of the course and present their request in writing. The faculty member shall forward a copy of the request to the appropriate Academic Dean, and all requests must be approved in advance of the absence(s).  


The academic year at Renton Technical College is divided into three quarters of 11 weeks each, and a summer session of six weeks.  

One credit is earned for the following instructional hours: 

  • 11 hours of theory (lecture/discussion), or approximately 1 hour of instruction per week 
  • 22 hours of guided practice (laboratory/clinical experience), or approximately 2 hours of supervised practice per week
  • 33 hours of field-based experience (co-op or internship), or approximately 3 hours of off-campus or workplace experience per week 

For Apprenticeship programs, one credit is earned per 11 hours of total classroom instruction.

Many RTC classes have a combination of theory hours and guided practice hours that determine their total credit value. A five-credit class may meet more than five hours per week, for example, if some of the credits come from guided practice hours.

Transfer of Credits 

Course credits can be transferred from RTC or to RTC to another college or university. When a student transfers to a new college, that college determines whether or not different classes can be accepted for credit in its specific programs. For students who plan to transfer from RTC to a different school, we do maintain credit reciprocity agreements with many institutions of higher learning, but you should contact the institution where you hope to transfer, to learn about their policies, procedures, and transfer credit processes. Students transferring to RTC from other institutions must have an official transcript. Courses with less than a “C” grade or 2.0 generally will not be accepted by RTC. 

Credit Assessment 

Students who have had program-related coursework, examinations, or experiences prior to attending Renton Technical College may be awarded credit towards their certificate and/or degree; maximums may apply. Course credit is awarded by the Registrar in the following ways: 

College Course Credit

Courses that were completed at another college or university that has regional or national accreditation recognized by the Department of Education. 

CTE Dual Credit 

Credit earned through participation in CTE Dual Credit programs as determined by the Puget Sound Dual Credit Career Consortium and articulation agreements and governed by the rules and regulations between the college and school districts. 

Military Coursework

Courses and training that were completed while the individual was in one of the branches of the U.S. Armed Services, including the Coast Guard, and usually outlined on a Joint Services Transcript (JST). 

Credit by Testing

Commonly accepted higher education equivalency exams that are documented via an official record. This includes Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and Cambridge (CI). Credit will be awarded on the basis of official test results, not high school or college transcript notation. A maximum of 45 credits can be awarded for credit by examination, and duplicate credit for the same subject taken on different exams will not be granted. Details of different higher education equivalency exams are described below. 

  • Advanced Placement (AP): Washington community and technical colleges will award a minimum of unrestricted elective credit for an Advanced Placement (AP) score of 3 or higher. Credit will be awarded on the basis of official AP results, not transcript notation. Credits granted for general education or major requirements will be specified by the receiving institution’s AP credit policies; otherwise, elective credit will be granted. 
  • International Baccalaureate (IB): Washington community and technical colleges will grant a minimum of elective credit for an International Baccalaureate (IB) Standard Level (SL) or Higher Level (HL) exam score of 4 or higher. Credit will be awarded on the basis of official IB results, not transcript notation, in accordance with RTC’s IB equivalencies.
  • Cambridge International (CI): Washington community and technical colleges will grant a minimum of elective credit for each Cambridge International A- or AS-level exam with a grade of “E” or above for approved examinations. Credit will be awarded on the basis of official Cambridge International Examination results, not transcript notation, in accordance with RTC’s CI equivalencies.
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): CLEP exams are computer-based tests that allow students to demonstrate their ability in a given subject. RTC grants course credit for exams with scores of 50 or higher when students submit an official copy of their CLEP scores to the Credentials Evaluation office.  

Prior Experiential Learning

Knowledge and skills acquired through experience alone, evaluated by faculty as equivalent to the learning and outcomes in program classes.

  • This includes life experience.
  • Students may be asked to assemble a portfolio. All prior learning assessments for High School 21+ diploma program (HS21+) awarded through prior experiential learning portfolio review.

Extra-Institutional Learning

Knowledge and skills acquired outside the institution and objectively verified through third-party certifications, industry-recognized testing, and crosswalks like the following:

  • ACE Training programs/institutes
  • Industry certification (e.g., WABO certification, Google Career Certificates)  
  • Licensure exams (e.g., NCLEX-RN)  
  • Occupational crosswalks for police, file, AmeriCorps, military, etc. 

Course Challenges

Examinations that are sufficiently comprehensive to determine that the student has the same knowledge and skills as those who enroll in, and successfully complete, the course. Course challenge exams are best for students who have previous training, private study, work experience, or other qualifications that provide sufficient knowledge or abilities.  There are limited opportunities to challenge individual courses at this time, and students must submit applications and a fee of $75 before attempting to take such an exam. Students are encouraged to contact the program Dean/Director for more information before they pay the fee.  

Program Completion Standards

A Certificate of Completion will be issued when: 

  • A student completes all program requirements with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. 
  • A student meets the minimum GPA requirements for each course as defined in the College Catalog.  
  • A student earns all required credits in the program of study as identified in the official course outline.
  • A student satisfies any residence requirements, or minimum number of credits completed at RTC. 



Transcripts Webpage

Official Transcript (online only)

An official transcript includes the Registrar’s signature, the Renton Technical College seal, and the date issued. An official transcript is delivered in a sealed envelope that should not be opened by anyone except the addressee.

RTC has authorized Parchment to process and accept payment for transcript requests. Each official transcript order has a service fee of $10.50 per copy. It typically takes 2-3 business days to process an order but may take up to a week. This does not account for an additional 2-3 days to reach the addressee by mail. Also, students may choose to have their transcripts expedited for an additional fee.

To order transcripts, please go to the Transcripts Webpage.

Academic Achievement

All USA Academic Team 

The All-USA Academic Team Scholarship competition, sponsored by the Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Society, is for students who have been in a career-training program for at least two quarters; who have excellent grades and a history of community service; and who have been nominated by their instructors for the campus competition. To compete, students must write an essay and obtain letters of recommendation. The college selects two representatives to go on to a state-wide competition, where they can receive a monetary award and attend a luncheon with the Governor. 

President’s Honor List 

Students who complete a certificate, AAS, or AAS-T degree of 21 credits or more with a GPA of 3.7 or higher by the end of the previous quarter earn the right to wear a gold cord during the graduation ceremony. If they continue to qualify after the grades for their graduating quarter are posted, students will receive a letter signed by the President of the college and a statement will appear on their transcript. 

Vice President’s Honors List 

To qualify for the Vice President’s Honors List, students must be enrolled for a total of 12 credits or more during the quarter. Students must complete all courses for which they are registered with a cumulative or overall quarterly GPA of 3.7 or higher. There is no limit to the number of quarters that a student may appear on the list.

BAS Degree Honors Designations 

Bachelor of Applied Science degrees have special honors designations when students complete with specific cumulative GPAs: 

  • Cum Laude (with distinction): 3.85 - 3.89 GPA 
  • Magna Cum Laude (with great distinction): 3.9 - 3.94 GPA 
  • Summa Cum Laude (with highest distinction): 3.95 - 4.0 GPA 


Graduation & Commencement Webpage

Application for Graduation 

Credentials are not awarded automatically. To receive a certificate, degree, or diploma from Renton Technical College, a student must complete the online Graduation Application form.

The application is located on the Graduation & Commencement webpage. The Graduation Application should be completed by the first week of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate in order for the student to be listed in the commencement program. 

Commencement Ceremony 

The Renton Technical College commencement ceremony for graduates is held each year in June at the end of spring quarter. Any eligible student completing a degree, certificate, high school diploma, or GED through Renton Technical College at any time during the academic year (fall through summer) may participate. Students must complete and submit a Graduation Application in order for their names to be listed in the commencement program. Caps and gowns are required and can be purchased in the RTC Bookstore.