Jul 13, 2024  
College Catalog 2022-2023 
College Catalog 2022-2023 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Opportunities

Transfer Options Webpage

Class-by-Class Transfer

RTC credits may transfer to another college or university on a class-by-class basis. The receiving institution decides which classes and credits they will accept. Usually they require a grade of “C” (2.0) or better in each class. Many universities have a transfer equivalency guide that lists all of the classes that are accepted automatically: 

If a class is not included in a transfer equivalency guide, students may be able to request a review of class materials to see if the RTC course is equivalent to a course at the receiving institution. Students should be prepared to present the class syllabus and samples of major assignments for the review. The process can take time, so advance planning is key. 

Technical classes are the hardest to transfer. Many four-year universities will award credit for general education classes in math or English or psychology, but not for program classes. There is an innovative program, however, at the Evergreen State College, which offers an Upside Down Transfer Option for a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts. They will accept up to 90 credits of a technical AAS or AAS-T. Students then complete 90 credits at Evergreen, mostly in general education. 

Transfer Degrees

RTC offers two types of associate degrees: technical and career-focused Associate of Applied Science (AAS) and Associate of Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) degrees, and Direct Transfer Agreement / Major Related Program (DTA/MRP) degrees which are meant to transfer to specific, high-demand programs at a four-year university.  

Students with a technical AAS or AAS-T degree also have many options for the Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS). These programs accept more technical classes, sometimes an entire program. BAS degrees emphasize hands-on, real-world work, and they are available at community and technical colleges across Washington state. Popular BAS choices include management, information technology, and education. 

 Notice: The receiving institution (the college or university you want to transfer to) decides whether or not to accept your credits Choose your classes carefully, and let your adviser or counselor know about your plans to transfer. They can help you understand how different receiving institutions might evaluate your classes and credits. You also should think about reaching out to the admissions department at your transfer college or university for guidance.

Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA)-Based Major Related Programs