Jul 13, 2024  
College Catalog 2020-2021 
College Catalog 2020-2021 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information

Degrees & Certificates

Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree

An applied bachelor’s degree builds on the education and training from a two-year technical associate degree. All Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) students are required to take 60 credits of general education coursework, a minimum of 30 credits which are often satisfied at the Associate degree level, as confirmed by entrance requirements. The remaining credits will be satisfied over the course of the two-year BAS program.  

Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree

The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree is a two-year degree for students who want to start a career immediately after graduation. These degrees are at least 90 credits. All students enrolled in an AAS degree program must complete core program requirements and general educations requirements.  

Associate of Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) Degree

Associate of Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) degrees are two-year, job-training degrees. These degrees are consistent with the dual purpose of transfer and preparation for direct employment. These degrees facilitate transfer to some institutions. The general education component is comprised of at least 20 credits of courses generally accepted in transfer, including a minimum of: 

  • 5 credits in Communication (English Composition) 
  • 5 credits in Quantitative Skills  
  • 10 credits in Science, Social Science, or Humanities 

Certificate of Completion

A Certificate of Completion is issued to a student enrolled in a certificate program when the student successfully completes the course competencies and requirements for an occupational program.  

Certificate of Award

A Certificate of Award is issued to a student upon request when the student has successfully completed a unit of study in apprenticeship, basic studies or community education classes. 

Direct Transfer Agreement/Major Related Program (DTA/MRP)

The Direct Transfer Agreement/Major Related Program (DTA/MRP) associate degree is designed to transfer to most Bachelor of Arts degrees at four-year colleges and universities in Washington state. These degrees will provide the transferring student with at least 90 credits upon entry to a four-year college or university. 

General Educational Development (GED)

A General Educational Development certificate is issued to an individual who successfully completes the General Education Development Test. The GED is generally accepted in lieu of a high school diploma. 

High School Diploma

The college awards a high school diploma through the College & Career Pathways’ Youth High School Completion and High School+ Diploma programs who demonstrate competencies in reading, writing and math contextualized in science, history, government, occupational studies, and digital literacy. Competency is demonstrated through current coursework and previous learning and experience.  

General Education

General Education Webpage

General Education courses are an essential part of our associate degrees, enabling the student to attain necessary competencies in analysis, communication, qualitative and quantitative methods, synthesis, and teamwork for further growth as a productive member of society and providing a foundation for lifelong learning. 

Whereas completion of the vocational training requirements demonstrates competency in the area of specialty, completion of the General Education requirements demonstrates a competence in oral and written communications, computations, and human relations in the workplace.  

General Education requirements vary for each program. Entry into General Education courses in writing and math are determined according to the College’s course placement process. General Education credits may be transferred to other colleges within guidelines established by the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges. The testing calendar is available in Enrollment Services or on the RTC Testing Services webpage

For a listing of current classes being offered each quarter, see the RTC Class Schedule or call the Enrollment Services Office at (425) 235-2352. 

Continuing Education

Continuing Education Webpage

Renton Technical College offers many day and evening classes for credit to those who wish to upgrade their skills for job advancement or those who wish to develop new skills, perhaps in a different career. 

For a listing of current classes being offered each quarter, see the RTC Class Schedule or call the Enrollment Services Office at (425) 235-2352. 


eLearning Webpage

Learning Modalities

  • Face-to-Face/Web-Enhanced: Students and instructors meet together in a classroom. Class times are designated in the class schedule; syllabus, grades, assignments and other course elements available online.  
  • Online: Online classes consist entirely of online elements with no face-to-face component. Some online classes require students to interact with each other, the faculty, and content at specific times, while others are entirely self-paced.  
  • Hybrid: A combination of face-to-face meetings and online instruction. Required face-to-face class times are designated in the class schedule.  
  • Flex: Class exists fully online and fully face-to-face, and students have a choice of how to attend on any given day. Face-to-face class times are designated in the class schedule. 


Renton Technical College uses Instructor Canvas, a Learning Management System (LMS) that requires individual student login for classroom, hybrid and online courses. All courses and students are automatically uploaded to the LMS. Faculty use the Canvas platform for their gradebook, syllabi, and course outcomes.

If you have questions regarding your online classes, you can contact elearning@rtc.edu or call 425-235-2352, ext. 7905. You can also search the Canvas Guides or use the Help button on the upper right within Canvas search for answers or to report a problem. RTC’s elearning page has a list of classes and other information.

Cooperative Education

Many of the training programs offer a cooperative education component, a combination of classroom instruction and related work experience. Cooperative positions often become jobs when the training is over because employers want to retain proven workers. Instructors coordinate and seek out cooperative opportunities. 

Running Start

Running Start Webpage

The Running Start program provides an opportunity for high school juniors and seniors to attend college-level classes, tuition-free, and earn both college and high school credits. However, Running Start students are responsible for textbooks, supplies, transportation, and any class fees. 

Running Start students are treated as college students and are subject to the standards, rules and regulations of the college. To participate in Running Start students must demonstrate college-level skills. Students may demonstrate their readiness for college-level courses by taking the English and/or math placement test at RTC, or by providing another placement document (see Running Start application for more information). 

For Running Start information call (425) 235-2352, ext. 5714 or (425) 235-5840.

Career & Technical Education (CTE) Dual Credit

Dual Credit Webpage

Renton Technical College encourages early pre-registration by high school students for their college program of choice, to assure timely entry. In some cases, advanced placement may be granted to students with CTE Dual credits. Through the Puget Sound Dual Credit Career Consortium, Renton Technical College has developed agreements with Auburn, Enumclaw, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Puyallup, Renton, Sumner-Bonneylake, Tahoma, and Tukwila school districts, and the Puget Sound Skills Center. We also have articulation agreements outside of the consortium with Issaquah and Bellevue School Districts.

RTC currently has articulation agreements in the following program areas:

  • Accounting
  • Allied Health
  • Autobody Repair & Refinishing
  • Automotive Technology
  • Computer Network Technology
  • Computer Science
  • Contemporary Business Administration
  • Culinary Arts
  • Engineering Design Technology
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Legal Assistant
  • Machining Technologies
  • Medical Administrative Programs
  • Welding 

Find out more about becoming a Dual Credit student on the Dual Credit Webpage. Contact your high school counselor or vocational teacher, or Renton Technical College’s Student Services office at (425) 235-5840. 

Grading Policy

Grading criteria are determined by the instructor. These criteria and how grades are achieved must be shared in writing with students on the first day that the course is taught. Grading policies must be on file and approved by the instructor’s dean. 

Grades will be submitted as decimals which students can convert as follows: 

Decimal Grades-Letter Grades Equivalent

Decimal Grade 
Letter Equivalent 
A - 
B + 
B - 
C + 
C - 
D + 

Grade and Symbol Definitions

Grade Symbol
Grade Definition
An “S” grade is not figured into the grade-point average.  
A “U” grade is figured as a “0.”
In Progress 
A “Y” grade is given to all the students in a class who are doing passing coursework but need additional instruction and time to complete course requirements or competencies. Students are required to re-register for the course and pay all tuition and any other charges. The Y remains on the transcript for the quarter assigned, while the final grade will be posted to the quarter in which the student re-enrolled in the course. The Y grade earns no credit and does not affect the GPA. 
When a student is not able to complete a class for reasons beyond his control an instructor may assign an incomplete. It should be given ONLY when there is a reasonable expectation that the student will complete the specified work in the time allowed without additional instructional time. To receive an “I” grade, the student MUST have an “Incomplete Contract” signed by the instructor and the dean and submitted to registration prior to the grade being submitted. An “I” grade reverts to the assigned “grade without completion” after one quarter (not including summer) unless otherwise specified on the incomplete contract. The original is sent to the registrar with copies to the student, instructor, dean and counselor or advisor. 
An audit means the student registers on a space-available basis to attend the class and to listen, but not do graded work. The student pays full tuition and fees, but attends class for information only. The N grade does not earn credit and does not affect the GPA. The audit grade option must be approved by the instructor and submitted to the registration office by the 10th day of the class. Once registered for an audit, the student cannot change to a graded option. 
Repeating a Course 
The qualifier “R” on a transcript means a course has been repeated, and is excluded from credits and grade point average. All grades will still appear on the transcript whether repeated or not. The most recent grade will be used to compute the GPA. Students may not take a course more than twice without permission from the Vice President of Student Services. Repeating certain courses may require permission from the instructor or the appropriate administrator. 
Unofficial Withdrawal 
Students who attend briefly, rarely, or not at all, and who fail to officially withdraw from a course or a program with a W grade, may be assigned a grade of “V” at the discretion of the instructor. The V grade does not earn credit and does not count in the GPA calculation. 
A student may officially withdraw from a program or class by completing the appropriate form and submitting it to registration by the eighth week of the quarter. After the eighth week, the student cannot receive a “W” and will be graded based on the course requirements as described in the course syllabus. A withdrawal prior to the 10th day of the quarter is not listed on the transcript. After the 10th day of the class, a “W” will appear on the student’s transcript but it is not computed in the GPA. An official withdrawal can only be initiated by a student or a counselor or advisor at the request of the student. 
Hardship Withdrawal 
Under very exceptional circumstances, instructors can request a hardship withdrawal for a student. This can be requested at any time during the quarter for a student who has attended class regularly and has completed assignments with passing grades but for reasons beyond his or her control must drop out. A hardship withdrawal must be signed by the instructor, the dean and the Vice President for Student Services. 

Grade Appeal 

A student who feels he did not get the grade he earned must first speak to the instructor involved. If the dispute is not resolved, the student may file a grade appeal with the supervising dean. 

Grade appeals must be based on: 

  • Errors were made in calculating or posting the official RTC grade, 

  • The instructor did not follow the grading criteria outlined in the course syllabus, or 

  • Grading criteria were not uniformly applied. 

A grade appeal MUST be filed within two (2) instructional days of the end of the quarter. A grade appeal filed after one (1) quarter in which the grade was earned, will not be considered. The student will be notified of the result of their grade appeal via email within four (4) instructional days of filing. The Grad Appeal Form can be found on the Student Forms Library webpage.

Academic Standards of Progress

Renton Technical College expects students to make academic progress. The academic standing of each Renton Technical College student is carefully monitored to support the full development of each student’s academic potential. The faculty and staff are committed to student success and academic progress. 

Progressive Intervention 

Academic Alert

Students must maintain an average of 2.0 or higher in the program and/or a grade of 2.0 or higher in designated courses. It is the responsibility of the instructor to inform the students doing less than 2.0 work of their status at least four weeks prior to the end of each quarter/reporting period. This is to be done in writing using the Student Academic Progress Report form. After the student and the instructor have signed the Progress Notice form, a copy must be forwarded to the program administrator. Students receive a progress notice indicating that academic performance is unsatisfactory and are advised to seek assistance. 

Academic Probation

Registration will supply instructional administrators and financial aid with a list of all students receiving a grade average of less than a 2.0 in a program. These students are required to meet with a designated faculty advisor and program administrator to develop specific steps to improve their academic record. An educational plan must be drafted and approved by the appropriate administrator. 

Academic Restriction

Continued academic difficulties will result in academic restrictions to be determined by the Instructor and the appropriate administrator. Students are blocked from registration activity and must complete an academic plan, to be presented to a subcommittee of the Academic Standards Committee, prior to registration. Academic restrictions will be continued and/or increased each quarter the student’s cumulative GPA remains below 2.0. Academic restrictions may include, but are not restricted to the following: reduced credit load, mandatory participation in tutoring services, academic suspension, and academic dismissal. Students on academic restriction are not eligible for financial aid. 

Students who are suspended or dismissed must file an application for readmission and secure permission from the Academic Standards Committee before resuming their education. 

This committee is comprised of the instructional administrator for the program or the department in question, a program or course instructor, and the Vice-President of Student Services. When financial aid has been canceled due to unsatisfactory progress, students may use one of the following options to reinstate eligibility: 

  • Successfully complete at least six credits, with a GPA of 2.0 or higher without the help of financial aid. (The student will need to notify Financial Aid at the end of the successful quarter); or 
  • Students who believe that they had circumstances beyond their control that prevented them from making satisfactory academic progress may submit an appeal for reinstatement of aid. 
  • Readmitted students will be placed on probation and will be subject to the normal standards of academic progress. 


Only the Academic Suspension status can be appealed. The student must show proof of circumstances over which they did not have control and/or show proof of making measurable and substantial progress towards repairing their academic performance. The appeal is an informal meeting with the Academic Standards Committee. This committee reviews appeals on a case by case basis. The decision of the committee is final. 

Lifting Progressive Intervention 

If a student raises their grade to an average of 2.0 or higher, the college will remove the student from Progressive Intervention. 

Leave of Absence

The college does not grant formal leaves of absences to students. However, Renton Technical College will grant reasonable accommodation so that grades are not impacted for students who are absent for reasons of faith or conscience, or for an organized activity conducted under the auspices of a religious denomination, church, or religious organization. Students must coordinate an absence with their instructor within the first two weeks of the course, and have their request in writing. The faculty member shall forward a copy of the request to the Academic Dean’s office and must be approved in advance of the absence.  


The academic year for Career Training programs, General Education and College & Career Pathways at Renton Technical College is divided into three quarters of 11 weeks each, and a summer session of six or eight weeks.  

One credit is earned for: 

  • 11 hours of Theory (lecture/discussion) 

  • 22 hours of Guided Practice (laboratory/clinical experience) 

  • 33 hours of Field-Based Experience (co-op/internship) 

For Apprenticeship programs, one credit is earned per 16.5 hours of total instruction. 

Transfer of Credits 

When a student transfers to another college, that college determines the transferability of specific courses and programs. RTC maintains credit reciprocity agreements with many institutions of higher learning, but students are advised to check carefully with the institution where they expect to transfer. Students transferring to RTC from other institutions must have an official transcript. Courses with less than a “C” grade will not be accepted by RTC. 

Credit Assessment 

Students who have had program-related coursework at other institutions prior to attending Renton Technical College may be awarded credit for advanced placement. Credit transfer is awarded by the Registrar in the following ways: 

College Credit

For coursework which was completed at another college or university accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency recognized by the Department of Education. 

CTE Dual Credit 

Credit earned through participation in CTE Dual Credit programs as determined by the Puget Sound Dual Credit Career Consortium Articulation Agreement and governed by the rules and regulations between the college and school districts. 

Military Coursework

Credit for coursework completed while the individual was in one of the branches of the U.S. Armed Services including the Coast Guard. 

Credit by Testing

Commonly accepted higher education equivalency exams that are documented via a transcript or other official record. Includes Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and Cambridge (CI). Credit will be awarded on the basis of official test results, not transcript notation. A maximum of 45 credits can be awarded for credit by examination. Duplicate credit for the same subject taken on different exams will not be granted. 

  • Advanced Placement (AP): Washington state community and technical colleges will award unrestricted elective credit for an Advanced Placement (AP) score of 3 or higher. Credit will be awarded on the basis of official AP results, not transcript notation. Credits granted for general education or major requirements will be specified by the receiving institution’s AP credit policies; otherwise, elective credit will be granted. 
  • International Baccalaureate (IB): Washington community and technical colleges will grant a minimum elective credit for an International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level (HL) exam score of 5 or higher. Credit will be awarded on the basis of official IB results, not transcript notation. 
  • Cambridge International (CI): Washington community and technical colleges will grant a minimum elective credit for each Cambridge International Examination for A-level exam with a passing grade or above for approved examinations. Credit will be awarded on the basis of official Cambridge International Examination results, not transcript notation. No grades are posted for A-level exams. 
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): CLEP exams are computer-based tests that allow students to demonstrate their ability in a given subject. By obtaining a particular score, recommended by the American Council of Education, students can obtain college credit. Students must submit an official copy of their CLEP scores to the Credentials Evaluation office. Credit is posted to the student transcript at the time of graduation. Credit and/or placement will not be granted for scores below the ACE recommended score. 

Prior Experiential Learning

Knowledge and skills acquired through experience alone, evaluated (subjectively) by faculty via evaluation of a compilation of work. 

  • Includes life experience/portfolio  
  • All prior learning assessment HS21+ credits are awarded through prior experiential learning portfolio review
  • Will apply toward NWCCU’s 25% limitation rule as determined in Standard 2.C.7

Extra-Institutional Learning

Knowledge and skills acquired outside the institution and objectively verified through third-party certifications, industry-recognized testing/training, and crosswalks. 

  • Includes ACE Training programs/institutes, industry certification (e.g.NCLEX-RN)  
  • Includes Occupational Crosswalks (Police, Fire, AmeriCorps, Military, etc.) 

Course Challenges

Challenge examinations are sufficiently comprehensive to determine that the student has the same knowledge and skills as those students who enroll in, and successfully complete, the course. A student should have previous training, private study, work experience, or other bona fide qualifications indicating the student has knowledge or abilities equivalent to course completers. Credit is awarded when the individual has passed a comprehensive test of the course content. There are limited opportunities to challenge individual courses at this time. Students are encouraged to contact the program Dean/Director for more information.  

Program Completion Standards

A Certificate of Completion will be issued when: 

  • A student completes all program requirements with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. 
  • A student meets the minimum GPA requirements for each course as defined in the College Catalog.  
  • A student earns all required credits in the program of study as identified in the official course outline on file with the Vice President of Instruction. 


Transcripts Webpage

Students may request official transcripts by submitting a completed transcript request from the Enrollment Services Office. Orders are generally processed within one week. 

To obtain a transcript request form, call the Enrollment Services Office at (425) 235-2352 or go to the Transcripts Webpage.

Academic Achievement

All USA Academic Team 

The All USA Academic Team Scholarship competition is for students who have been in an AAS program for at least two quarters, have excellent grades and a history of community service and have been nominated by their instructors for the campus competition. To compete, students must write an essay and obtain letters of recommendation. The college selects two representatives to go on to a state-wide competition, receive a monetary award and attend a luncheon with the Governor. 

President’s Honor List 

Students who complete a Certificate, AAS, or AAS-T degree of 21 credits or more with a GPA of 3.7 or higher by the end of the previous quarter earn the right to wear a gold cord during the graduation ceremony. If they continue to qualify after the grades for their graduating quarter are posted, students will receive a letter signed by the President of the college and a statement will appear on their transcript. 

Vice President’s Honors List 

To qualify for the Vice President’s Honors List, students must be enrolled for a total of 12 credits or more during the quarter. Students must complete all courses for which they are registered with a GPA of 3.7 or higher. There is no limit to the number of quarters that a student may appear on the list. Students who achieve this distinction will receive a letter signed by the Vice President of Instruction acknowledging their achievement. 

BAS Degree Honors Designations 

For the Bachelor of Applied Science programs, honors designations are: 

  • Cum Laude: With distinction 3.85 - 3.89 GPA 
  • Magna Cum Laude: With great distinction 3.9 - 3.94 GPA 
  • Summa Cum Laude: With highest distinction 3.95 - 4.0 GPA 


Graduation & Commencement Webpage

Application for Graduation 

To receive a Certificate or an Associate of Applied Science Degree or Direct Transfer Degree from Renton Technical College, a student must complete an Application for Degree or Certificate form. 

The application is located on the Graduation & Commencement webpage or can be obtained at the Enrollment Services Office located in the Roberts Campus Center, Building I. The Application for Graduation must be completed by the first week of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate in order for the student to be listed in the graduation program. 

Commencement Ceremony 

The Renton Technical College graduation ceremony is held each year in June on the last day of the Spring Quarter. Any eligible student completing a degree, certificate, high school diploma or GED through Renton Technical College at any time during the academic year (fall through summer) may participate. All students must complete and submit an Application for Graduation in order for the student to be listed in the graduation program. Caps and gowns are required and can be purchased in the RTC Bookstore.