May 28, 2020  
College Catalog 2019-2020 
College Catalog 2019-2020

Financial Aid & Assistance

How to Apply for Financial Aid

It’s easy to apply for financial aid. Students can submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. The FAFSA collects financial data and other information that is used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) that ultimately determines a student’s eligibility for aid. The federal code for Renton Technical College is 014001.

The key to obtaining financial aid is to apply early. Students should apply at least three months prior to the time they expect to enter school. Students may begin the process at any time; however, financial aid will not be awarded until a start date has been assigned.

  • The FAFSA worksheet can be picked up in the Financial Aid Office, Building I, Room 205.
  • Students can submit the FAFSA electronically on the FAFSA website. This website is provided by the Department of Education and allows students to transmit the application online.
  • If you need assistance filling out the FAFSA, you can drop into the Financial Aid Office on Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., or visit the Learning Resource & Career Center Monday - Thursday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • If you are not eligible to complete the FAFSA due to your immigration status, you still may be eligible to apply for the State Need Grant by completing the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). For more information go to the WASFA website.
  • Students will be required to complete an RTC Data Sheet and possibly other forms. Visit the RTC Financial Aid webpage for more information.
  • Students should stay in touch with the Financial Aid Office to be certain that all information needed to complete their file has been turned in on time.

Eligibility Requirements

All financial aid recipients must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a high school diploma, High School Equivalency or ACCUPLACER (approved ability to benefit tests). (Note: for federal funds a student must have a high school diploma or GED).
  • Be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program.
  • Not owe a repayment on a grant or be in default on a student loan.
  • Have financial need as determined by the federal need analysis.
  • Be registered with Selective Service if required.

Awards and Disbursements

The Renton Technical College Financial Aid Office processes the student’s financial aid file and determines eligibility for grants, work study, and loans based on the student’s enrollment level. Full-time enrollment is 12 credits or more, three-quarter-time is 9-11 credits, half-time is 6-8 credits and less-than-half-time is 5 credits or less. Students are notified of their financial aid eligibility with an award letter mailed to their address on file. Grants are prorated based on the student’s enrollment level through the fifth day of the quarter. Because loans must be repaid with interest, an additional application is required. Student loans require a minimum enrollment in six credits. 

Maximum Time Frame for Funding

The maximum time frame for funding to complete a training program is 150% of the published length of the program. (For Washington State Need Grant recipients it is 125%.)

Satisfactory Progress

It is important to remember that financial aid eligibility is based on academic standing as well as credits completed versus credits registered for. We review your progress from your start date at RTC, even if you did not receive aid. It is possible to lose eligibility without ever having received aid.

In order to remain eligible for financial aid, you must meet the following satisfactory academic progress requirements: At the end of each grading period, you must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0, successfully complete at least 67% of your cumulative attempted credits and not attempt more than 150% of the total credits required for your degree/certificate program.


You are eligible to receive financial aid while on warning status.

If you fail to maintain the satisfactory academic requirements listed above, you will be placed on financial aid warning at RTC for the next term. At the end of the term, progress will be reviewed.


If at the end of a warning period you have not met the cumulative completion and/or GPA satisfactory academic progress requirements, your aid will be suspended. You have the option to submit an appeal or complete credits at your own expense until the cumulative completion and/or GPA satisfactory academic progress requirements have been met. 

You will be placed on financial aid suspension from financial aid at Renton Technical College if:

  • You fall below a cumulative 2.0 GPA following a warning period.
  • You fail to complete at least 67% of your cumulative attempted credits following a warning period.
  • You have attempted 150% of the total credits required for your degree/certificate program.

Reinstatement After Suspension

You may request reinstatement of eligibility after completing credits at your own expense which result in you meeting the cumulative completion and/or GPA satisfactory academic progress requirements. Sitting out a period of time in and of itself is not sufficient to re-establish your financial aid eligibility.


You have the option to appeal your financial aid suspension if you had a mitigating circumstance you would like us to review.  Appeal forms are available in the financial aid office.

Types of Aid

Renton Technical College offers financial assistance to eligible students in the form of grants, work study, loans and scholarships. A financial aid award may consist of one or more of the following programs:


Grants are considered gift aid and do not require repayment unless a student leaves school before completing more than 60% of the term. RTC participates in the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Opportunity Grant, and Washington State Need Grant programs.

Work Study Programs

Work Study programs provide part-time employment to eligible students, on and off campus. The maximum a student can earn is determined by financial need and funds available. Students can work up to 19 hours per week while school is in session. Every effort is made to place students in jobs which relate to their training. RTC participates in both the federal and state work study programs. A list of current Work Study jobs can be accessed online on the RTC Career Connections website.


The Federal Direct Student Loan Program offers long term loans which allow students to postpone paying for a portion of their school expenses until after they graduate or leave school. Repayment begins six months after completion or withdrawal from the professional technical program.

Renton Technical College participates in the Direct Stafford Loan Program (subsidized, unsubsidized and Parent PLUS).

  • Subsidized Direct Loans are need-based. A student’s eligibility to borrow is based on financial need as determined by the federal government, which pays interest on the loan while the student is in school.
  • Unsubsidized Direct Loans do not require a student to show financial need; however, the cost of the student’s education must exceed any other financial aid offered. The student, not the federal government, is responsible to pay all interest that accrues on this loan.
  • Direct Parent PLUS loans are loans a dependent student’s parents take out to help the student pay for their education. Eligibility to borrow is based on the parents’ credit worthiness and the student’s unmet need. Repayment begins as soon as the funds are disbursed.

The Emergency Student Loan is a $200 short-term institutional loan available to financial aid students who are making satisfactory progress. All loans must be repaid no later than the end of the quarter in which they are received. Funds are limited.


The Renton Technical College Foundation, in partnership with various service, business and professional organizations in the community, provides more than $30,000 in scholarships annually. Current students will receive scholarship announcements via their student email account throughout the year from the Director of Student Engagement.

Visit the Learning Resource & Career Center, Building C, Room 102, to browse a list of external scholarships or make an appointment with a tutor for personal guidance.

Veterans Programs

Most of the training programs at Renton Technical College that offer a Certificate of Completion or an Associate of Applied Science degree are approved for benefits under the following Veterans Administration regulations: Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), 30 (Montgomery Bill), 32 (VEAP), 33 (Post 9/11), 35 (Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance) and 1606, 1607 (Reserves) of Title 38, U.S. Code.

Students who plan to use their veterans benefits are required to contact the Veterans Specialist located in Building J, Room 218C. A determination of eligibility by the Veterans Administration and the receipt of your first month’s benefits can take four to six weeks, so it’s a good idea to apply well in advance of your anticipated start date if you plan to use your benefits to pay for initial tuition costs. Veterans who have not previously used their benefits must complete Form 22-1990 and submit a copy of their form DD-214 and a notice of eligibility. Veterans who have used their educational benefits at a prior college must submit an academic transcript for evaluation of credits along with Form 22-1995 to request a change of program or place of training and submit a copy of their form DD-214.

If the Veteran has other funding sources for tuition, the student must notify the certifying official.

All veterans are required to keep the Veterans Specialist apprised of enrollment plans each quarter and are expected to conform to the academic standards of the financial aid satisfactory progress policy to remain eligible for benefits.

Renton Technical College offers an approximately 25% discount for all veterans who are honorably discharged and are residents of the state of Washington.  DD-214 must be presented for the discount. 

Renton Technical College does not and will not provide any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on success in securing enrollment or financial aid to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting or admissions activities or in making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.

State Certifying Officials

Margo Izutsu (425) 235-2352 ext. 5738
Wade Parrott III (425) 235-2352 ext. 5805
Yeumie Truong (425) 235-2352 ext. 5545

Agency Funded Students

The Financial Aid Office acts as the liaison between students and the various public and private agencies who offer funding, including:

  • Division of Vocational Rehab (DVR)
  • Department of Labor and Industries (L&I)
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
  • Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS)
  • Employment Security
  • Private Insurance

Basic Food Employment & Training (BFET)

The Basic Food Employment and Training program (BFET) provides access to training and career services to food stamp recipients who are not participating in the TANF program. An RTC counselor will determine your eligibility.

For more information, call the Student Success Center at (425) 235-5840.

Opportunity Grant

Students eligible for the Opportunity Grant may receive funds to cover 45 credits of tuition/mandatory fees and up to $1,000 for books and supplies. Support services such as tutoring, college success workshops, emergency childcare, and emergency transportation are also part of the Opportunity Grant program. Due to limited availability of funds, submitting an application does not guarantee that you will receive an award. Student must be enrolled in an Opportunity Grant eligible program.

For more information, call Financial Aid at (425) 235-2352, ext. 5720.

Worker Retraining

If you have been terminated or received notice of termination from your job, are currently receiving unemployment benefits from the state of Washington, have exhausted unemployment benefits within the last four years, have been discharged from the military, have been self-employed, or are a displaced homemaker, you may be eligible to receive financial aid for approved training programs to help cover the costs of tuition, books, child care and transportation.

For more information, call the Student Success Center at (425) 235-5840.


Tuition assistance is available for Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF) recipients and working parents who meet income guidelines. You may be eligible if you are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), working for pay, and your Individual Responsibility Plan (IRP) includes training; or you are working for pay, low-income, a custodial or non-custodial parent financially responsible for a child, and not receiving any other form of financial aid. An RTC counselor will determine your eligibility.

For more information, call the Student Success Center at (425) 235-5840.

Financial Aid Refund and Repayment Policy

Return of Title IV Funds

Students who receive Title IV aid (Federal Pell, Federal SEOG, Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loans and Direct Parent PLUS loans) and withdraw from school are subject to the Return of Title IV aid regulations. Federal law requires that a student must earn the aid they receive. When a student withdraws, drops out or otherwise fails to complete more than 60% of the term for which they received federal funds, the school is required to determine the amount earned using the Return of Title IV aid regulations.

If a student completes more than 60% of the term, it is determined that all financial aid has been earned. If a student completes 60% or less of the term, the earned and unearned portion will be calculated.

The unearned portion of tuition will be returned by the college to the appropriate Title IV program. The college will then bill the student for the amount of tuition that was returned in excess of the college’s refund policy.