Associate of Applied Science Degree: 91 credits
Enrollment Point: Fall, Winter or Spring Quarter
Students have the opportunity to learn baking basics and the science of baking in an exciting well-equipped bakery setting. This course is a fast-paced program following industry standards and practices of classical and contemporary baking. A variety of learning competencies and learning methods designed for our progressive program enables us to offer highly concentrated, focused, and hands-on curriculum.
Students participate in scaling and mixing, dough production, retail operations, and oven work in our production kitchen. The courses reviewed include: breads, pies, pastries, cookies, doughnuts, cakes, and specialty decorating. A ServSafe National Restaurant Association training is offered and national sanitation certification is available. Math, customer service and human relations courses assist the student with developing a portfolio. The program supports a retail bakery offering a broad selection of baked goods, cakes and pastries finished to industry standards. If you enjoy teamwork, bakery production, timelines, and creating delicious baked goods in a commercial baking environment, this program is for you!
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Manage a multitude of tasks in an ever-changing bakery production facility.
- Convert weights and measurements in a baking environment to correctly calculate industry recipes/formulas.
- Utilize positive communication and human relations skills in a diverse bakery.
- Apply proper safety and sanitation standards in a bakery environment.
- Utilize bakery equipment and terminology to produce a variety of bakery products.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to create breads, pies, pastries, cookies and doughnuts in a production bakery.