Certificate of Completion: 79 credits
Enrollment Point: Fall, Winter or Spring Quarter
The Culinary Arts certificate program is accredited with the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission (ACFEFAC). It is designed to train students for work in the hospitality industry. All phases of basic fundamental cookery are addressed in a concise curriculum within a well-equipped industry kitchen and professional classroom. Emphasis is on the development of skills and techniques necessary for advancement within the industry. This program offers both lecture-based and lab-based courses. Beginning courses include fundamentals of knife skills, culinary safety/sanitation and introduction to the industry. In addition, the advanced lab-based courses include various cooking methodologies, garde manger techniques, advanced techniques and more.
Upon completion of Renton Technical College’s Culinary Arts program, graduates who have received an AAS or AAS-T degree and are current American Culinary Federation members have the opportunity to be certified as a “Certified Culinarian” by the ACFEF.
To earn an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) or Associate of Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) degree, the student must complete all requirements for the certificate program plus 15 credits of General Education.
Transfer credit from other institutions will be considered upon validation of transcript and course work. Students holding a recent Certificate of Completion from RTC should contact the Registrar for degree options.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Manage a multitude of tasks in an intense, ever changing commercial food production environment.
- Interpret weights and measurements, execute standard recipe conversions and implement cost controls in a kitchen setting.
- Demonstrate interpersonal and organizational skills to adapt quickly in a diverse team environment.
- Demonstrate and apply food safety and sanitation practices.
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to apply all forms of cookery and methodologies.
- Employ outstanding guest service skills, professional presentation and sophisticated communication skills.
- Apply standards that meet American Culinary Federation Education Foundation requirements in a kitchen environment.