Associate of Applied Science Degree: 91 credits
Enrollment Point: Fall, Winter or Spring Quarter
This training program for Refrigeration Technicians enables students to develop the skills necessary to work as commercial service technicians on refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump systems. Emphasis is placed on developing a thorough understanding of electrical and refrigeration theory through classroom and online experiences and practical application. Service, repair, and troubleshooting techniques are taught on late model equipment in a fully equipped training facility. Students are taught how to safely handle, store, and dispose of refrigerants according to EPA requirements, related to diagnostic, service, and repair procedures. Technical proficiency and competency are developed by using test and service equipment to improve diagnostic and repair techniques. This program is approved as an electrical specialty training school by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, Electrical Section. This program is accredited by the Professional Service Association, a national appliance industry organization.
To earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree, the student must complete all requirements for the certificate program plus 20 credits of General Education. Transfer credit from other institutions will be considered upon validation of transcript and course work. Students holding a recent Certification of Completion from RTC should contact the Registrar for degree options.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Practice industry safety standards for the installation and operation of all major appliance products.
- Select and properly use appropriate instruments, tools, and equipment.
- Utilize technology to access service and parts information.
- Demonstrate leadership, motivation, and problem solving skills in diverse and complex work situations.
- Communicate effectively in writing and verbally with customers, co-workers and supervisors.
- Diagnose and repair malfunctions on major appliance, home, residential and commercial refrigeration products.