Associate of Applied Science - Transfer Degree: 90 credits
Enrollment Point: Fall Quarter
This program, approved by the Washington State Board of Massage, prepares students to become professionally licensed to practice therapeutic massage for health maintenance, assessment, and rehabilitation of body tissues and systems. Therapeutic massage is an integral part of sports medicine, injury recovery, physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
The program offers training in diverse modalities including Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, myofascial release, hydrotherapy and hot stone massage. Student clinic and internship experience are required. Successful completion of this program prepares the students to take the MBLEX licensing exam and to meet the licensing requirements for Washington state.
A Certificate of Completion is awarded upon successful completion of core course requirements (two  attempts per course only). To earn an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) or Associate of Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) degree, students must complete all requirements of the certificate program plus 25 credits of General Education and 16 credits of Massage Electives. Students are required to join the American Massage Therapy Association and the Washington State Chapter. The cost is in addition to tuition. The cost includes AMTA membership, Washington Chapter membership, and liability insurance. Copy of proof of membership will be required at time of registration.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate competence as a massage practitioner providing services in healthcare clinics, spas, and small business settings.
- Communicate effectively with all members of a healthcare team.
- Demonstrate accountability of practice with adherence to ethical and legal standards of the massage profession.
- Collaborate with patients and healthcare team to deliver client oriented treatment.
- Demonstrate critical thinking in assessment and treatment planning.