Associate of Applied Science Degree: 90-94 credits
Enrollment Point: Fall, Winter or Spring Quarter
This program is designed to provide entry-level skills for students seeking employment in the drafting profession as an architectural, structural, civil, or mechanical drafter. Students receive substantial training in drafting, design, and industrial practices building foundation with manual (board) techniques and CADD (Computer Aided Drafting) techniques. Application of building codes, ANSI, ISO, and AIA standards is presented, with emphasis on standards used in commercial building design and aerospace manufacturing.
Students become familiar with document control procedures, and materials science and processes. Related instruction in mathematics, oral and written communications, human relations/business leadership, employment skills, and basic computer, word processing, and spreadsheet applications are also provided. Ample time is devoted to hands-on instruction throughout the program.
To earn an Associate of Applied Science degree, the student must complete all requirements for the certificate program plus 45-49 credits of advanced program courses, General Education and electives.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Utilize 2D and 3D CAD/BIM software, drawings, engineer’s sketches, calculations, notes, building codes, and standards to produce civil, architectural, structural, and mechanical product information for a commercial building.
- Produce Data Packages (DP’s) that achieve full product definition for mechanical assemblies and parts using drawing-based definition and model-based definition.
- Apply mechanical design principles, mathematics, materials, and manufacturing process knowledge to design a mechanical assembly along a single digital thread.
- Organize and produce geometric& non-geometric product data using spreadsheet software, windows file organization, and cloud storage organization.
- Demonstrate job readiness through work ethic, a commitment to positive human relations, diversity, inclusion, and equity in the workplace, and navigation of employment tasks.
- Utilize BIM applications to maintain and implement changes throughout the design process.