BIOL& 100 - Survey of Biology
This laboratory science class introduces students to important concepts in biology and how they apply to problems relevant to humans and society. Students will explore core concepts including cells, genetics, and evolution and will apply the process of science through experimentation. Not intended for pre-nursing students.
General education distribution area: Natural Science, with lab.
- Understand, apply and summarize the steps of the scientific method.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of cellular processes necessary for life.
- Explain the process of gene expression, and give an example of how genotypes lead to phenotypes.
- Articulate arguments about current issues related to biology, and support those arguments with evidence.
- Identify and evaluate sources of scientific information using accepted criteria.
- Give scientific evidence for the theory of evolution and its role as the central theme of biology.