May 17, 2022
ENGL& 235 - Technical Writing
This course focuses on various aspects of professional and technical writing. Students study user guides, reports, proposals and other forms of business correspondence in order to successfully write for the workplace.
General education distribution area: Communication.
Prerequisite(s): Completion of ENGL& 101 with a 2.0 or higher.
- Identify and respond to real-world problems with practical solutions.
- Collaborate with others to plan, develop, and edit deliverables.
- Demonstrate appropriate business/technical formats in written presentations.
- Apply effective thesis and topic sentence statements in conventional essay composition.
- Articulate and demonstrate technical writing as reader-oriented, with ethical, legal, security implications.
- Identify and adopt best methods of organizing ideas to inform targeted audiences.
- Identify and apply professional and appropriate diction that accommodates diverse audience members.
- Compose sentences with attention to correct punctuation and grammar, concise expression, and professional tone.
- Identify, retrieve, and evaluate secondary sources for currency, authority, relevance, and credibility for use in research.
- Integrate borrowed source materials into the writing using proper documentation methods.
- Document research sources according to an academically-recognized style: APA or MLA.
- Revise at every level of composition: assignment compliance, diction, sentence, paragraph, essay, and documentation.